HOME BUYING GUIDELINES
Here are some things to keep in mind when getting ready to buy a home:
• Location, location, location – some things don’t change.
• Supply and demand is a critical issue. Be prepared and ready to respond quickly when you find the house that you want
• If you expect you may have to resell soon, don’t buy an unusual house.
• Redoing kitchens and baths can be very expensive – check these out carefully
• Pay attention to floor plans. Changing layouts and moving walls can be costly.
• Get pre-approved for your mortgage early and definitely prior to making an offer.
• Even if the quality of the school district doesn’t matter to you now, remember it might someday to you or another buyer.
• Brand new homes may be lower in maintenance costs, but can be higher in out of pocket expenses.
• There are no perfect homes. Be ready to make compromises and concessions. Know what’s most important to you and ‘give’ on those things that aren’t.
• Be an educated buyer. Learn as much as you can about the market from your realtor and other sources before you buy.
• Compare mortgages – an artificially low interest rate could have enormous hidden costs.
• When interest rates are low – it is often best to go for a fixed rate mortgage.
• Imagine the home vacant. Do not be swayed by staging – the furnishings will leave with the seller.
• Vacant homes appear larger than they are. It may be a good idea to measure to make sure your furnishings are going to fit.
• Buy the best home you can afford in the best neighborhood you can afford. You are almost always better off with the least expensive home in the area rather than the most expensive.
• Pay attention to the original listing date of the properties you look at; sellers tend to be more flexible the longer the home is on the market.
• Be honest and open with us. We work for you and can best help you if we have a good understanding of your needs.
You’ll know the right home for you when you see it. It is often an emotional response and not always logical. Our job is to be an objective medium in the process to ensure your needs and interests are met and protected.